Revered since antiquity for its powerful healing and hydrating benefits, rose water is a (super)natural ingredient that is used as the base of many powerhouse beauty products. Today, rose water has a number of dermatologist-approved health benefits and surprising new uses that can elevate your beauty routine and everyday life in general.
What is rose water?
Rose water is a liquid commonly prepared by steeping rose petals in water. It can also be created by distilling rose petals with steam.
This powerful beauty potion heals, hydrates, and helps maintain your skin’s pH balance.
One of the most popular applications is to use a rose water toner, which is a natural, effective (and smart!) way to care for your skin.
Why is rose water toner so good for your skin?
Rose water toners are formulated to remove impurities and clarify the complexion for healthier-looking skin. From antioxidants to anti-aging, rose water benefits are endless. To help explain how rose water can work for you, we’ve put together some of the biggest benefits and everyday uses below.
10 reasons to use rose water for beauty and wellness
- Rose water can calm your skin. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, rose water can reduce skin redness and puffiness. It is also commonly used to soothe the irritation of acne and rosacea.
- It has anti-aging properties. Rose water is often found in beauty products aimed at reducing wrinkles. That’s because rose water has antioxidant powers that neutralize free radical damage, which is one of the leading causes of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging.
- It can be used as a (vegan!) makeup remover. Rose water + coconut oil = the ultimate cleanser. This combination will remove your makeup AND hydrate your skin at the same time.
- Rose water makes a great facial mist. Cooling rose water facial mist sprays are ideal for prepping the skin for serums and creams, setting makeup, and refreshing skin throughout the day.
- It can be used to create fragrances. Rose water is quite fragrant, so it is often used as an alternative to chemical-filled perfumes.
- Rose water is a powerful ingredient in facial treatments. Because it is deeply hydrating, rose water is often used in moisturizers, creams, serums, and toners to hydrate and plump skin for a fresh, youthful appearance.
- Rose water can be used as a mild astringent. When used as an astringent or toner, rose water helps remove excess oil from your skin. Its astringent properties also help maintain the skin’s natural pH balance.
- It can enhance your mood. Rose water has been shown to provide relief from the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Its relaxing aromatherapy benefits gently calm stress and anxiety.
- Rose water can be used as a mouthwash alternative. A 2016 study by the International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research found that rose water was more effective than other common agents in fighting gum disease, including gingivitis and other gum pathogens.
- It can be used in hair treatments. The nourishing and moisturizing properties of rose water make it a great natural conditioner that revitalizes hair growth. It can also be used to treat mild scalp inflammations and get rid of dandruff.